Tuesday, May 29, 2018

First Day of Blogging!- At Home with Serena

May 29, 2018
Today I had woken up at 6 in the morning. I couldn't sleep, which was weird because Serena was still asleep. So I decided to play my Nintendo 3DS for a while; but then the sunlight was already at the window, so I decided to start my day.

Around Noon:
Lunch time was pretty good. Ramen noodles.
Serena looked at what I was eating and asked, "Why is it stringy?"
I told her, "It's supposed to be stringy."
"Like silly string?"
I thought for a moment and then nodded. "Yeah, like silly string."
She gasped, and then tried to move the bowl away from me, saying, "Don't eat the silly string!"
I stopped her and said, "It's not silly string. It's ramen noodles."
Eventually, Serena tasted the noodles and thought they were good.

That afternoon:
Serena and I were playing the Triangle Peg game--you know, the triangle with pegs that you would find at places like Cracker Barrel--and of course, Serena kept losing. I tried showing her how to play the game right, but she insisted on knocking the triangle with the pegs falling out.
That was when I decided that it was probably too soon for her to understand the rules of the game.
By the way, her way of getting over this game was imagining if she was the triangle.
Ooookay…

Around Dinner time:
Guess who stopped by?
Mombo.
She starts off by complaining about the hot weather. She was like, "I'm telling you, this weather, Veronica..." I was busy watching Fixer Upper on TV, so I didn't really catch what else she was talking about.

Mombo then looked through the pictures on my phone and came across one with me posing with my mom, with us both wearing sunglasses. Mombo saw that Mom had gray hair and said, "What is this? A contest for whoever has the grayest hair?!" She flicked her own yarn hair and said, "Well!" She then grabbed my collar and whispered: "I'm still winning, right?"

I finished my slices of bread with butter, and Serena came by the table with a plate of chocolate chip cookies.
Guess who got the one with the most chocolate chips?
Yep. Serena got that one.
She offered Mombo a cookie. Then she moved the plate clockwise so that her mom wouldn't get the cookie with more chocolate chips in it, leaving Mombo with the one with only one or two chips. Mombo got mad and wrestled Serena for the better cookie (By the way, this wrestling was more of an arm-wrestling match, rather than a fight.)

I broke up the arm-wrestling by telling Mombo about Cookie Monster. "Cookie Monster recently wrote a book," I said. "It's called The Joy of Cookies."
"I believe it," she answered, "because he had that book and ate it too." She said this while she pointed at the book's structure--the on-purpose bite marks on the book itself. But then she did a double-take on the book and she was livid. "SERENA! YOU ATE THE BOOK?!" And I had to reassure her that the book was designed that way, and that it wasn't Serena's fault. "Then go write a book review, and make some money about it!" she told me. "Maybe Big Bird will investigate it!" (She meant Cookie Monster and the Smart Cookies from the Smart Cookies segments of Sesame Street, but anyway...)

We calmed her down by talking to her more about the weather. Yeah, Mombo likes to argue with people... but it's funny.
I asked her for her opinion on the weather here in Texas--believe me, we're heading to the 100s (if not already). She was like: "Oh, we're gonna melt eventually." Wow. Thanks, Mombo, for giving us a reason why we should stay at home all summer! LOL

Mombo then asked me if she could have her own segment on the Living with a Hand Puppet blog. I was like: "Okay. What do you want to do?"
"You know how Angry Grandpa has his own set of proverbs... or truth-isms?"
I nodded. Somehow Mombo knew that I watched the Angry Grandpa series on YouTube. "What about it?" I asked.
She smiled and answered, "I wanna do something like that."
"Well, we'll see," I told her. "I already have a listen of ideas for this blog. But I'll see if I can squeeze you into my schedule somewhere."
"We'll speak tomorrow," she said. "I wanna talk over some Subway sandwiches."
The thought of Subway made me light up with joy. "That sounds good, Mombo!"
"And YOU'RE buying," she said.
Darn...
Meanwhile, Serena was staring at the both of us, and then asked, "We're gonna eating a subway train tomorrow?"
"No you ding-dong! Sandwiches from Subway!" Mombo corrected her.
Serena paused for a few seconds and finally said... "But San Antonio doesn't have subway stations."
All I could do was laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment